Did G-d promise many descendants to Abraham or Jesus? ~ Cross reference of Hebrews 6:14 to Genesis 22:17


Hebrews confuses me with so many weird claims. Here he is claiming that god promised Jesus many descendants, I believe he is trying to say that god promised Jesus as the savior of people sins and once this was done, all people who believe in Jesus are the children that god promised Abraham. 

The cross reference to the promise that G-d made to Abraham has a couple of issues.
  • This is some kind of Midrash [foreshadow, cloud, mirror ...] on the passages rather than an actual prophecy.
  • The promise to Abraham came with a covenant and commands which Christians do not follow so I think this is not a right prophesy to prove what Hebrews is claiming.
  • The promise to Abraham is his descendants and not to gentiles and pagans.
All Images are links to Google Images. Copyright violations not intended.
All Greek Text references are from NIV and Tanakh references are from Chabad.

This post is not intended to offend anyone's faith but for those people who are Seeking the truth of THE ONE TRUE G-D of the universe to who we owe all our love, gratitude & devotion.

My encouragement to you is that you read the whole chapter of Tanakh that the Greek text quotes so you get the context and understand what G-d actually said.


G-d Bless and Seek THE Truth.

Hebrews 6:14 saying, “I will surely bless you and give you many descendants.”

Genesis 22:17 That I will surely bless you, and I will greatly multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens and as the sand that is on the seashore, and your descendants will inherit the cities of their enemies.

  • If you rad the below passages that I called out, you will see that the promise to Abram/Abraham was based on a covenant. Clearly gentiles do not come into this covenant and is exclusive for Israel. Also the promise is about the land, many descendants & a blessing to the gentiles.
  • In a period of 3500 years, all these promises are fulfilled and we await the final promise to have G-d restore the creation through the messianic age and messiah.
  • Below I have listed the places where G-d promises Abram / Abraham that G-d will bless him and the word "seed" appears.
    • Genesis 12:7 And the Lord appeared to Abram, and He said, "To your seed I will give this land," and there he built an altar to the Lord, Who had appeared to him.
    • Genesis 13:15 For all the land that you see I will give to you and to your seed to eternity Genesis 24:7 The Lord, God of the heavens, Who took me from my father's house and from the land of my birth, and Who spoke about me, and Who swore to me, saying, 'To your seed will I give this land' He will send His angel before you, and you shall take a wife for my son from there.
    • Genesis 15:5 And He took him outside, and He said, "Please look heavenward and count the stars, if you are able to count them." And He said to him, "So will be your seed."
    • Genesis 17:6 And I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings will emerge from you. 7 And I will establish My covenant between Me and between you and between your seed after you throughout their generations as an everlasting covenant, to be to you for a God and to your seed after you. 8 And I will give you and your seed after you the land of your sojourning, the entire land of Canaan for an everlasting possession, and I will be to them for a God."
    • Genesis 22:17 That I will surely bless you, and I will greatly multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens and as the sand that is on the seashore, and your seed will inherit the cities of their enemies. 18 And through your seed shall be blessed all the nations of the world, because you hearkened to My voice."
  • The word seed appears 100+ times in Tanakh & every time is refers to offspring or children or descendants [plural]
    • G-d appears to Abram/Abraham 5 times and makes the promise that
    • He will become a great nation [4 times]
    • He will give the land of Cannan to his descendants [4 times]
    • Through him / his seed nations will be blessed [2 times]
    • The same promise is made to Isaac and Jacob subsequently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vicarious Atonement is not taught in Tanakh

Joshua is the prophet like Moses

Did the "The abomination that causes desolation" happen yet? ~ Cross reference of Matthew 24:15 to Daniel 9:26