Keeping the Shabbat is important to G-d - Key Passages



Time & again G-d tells Israel that keeping the Shabbat is important to him. There are several passages that say that the Shabbat is holy to G-d. 

While the Shabbat may not be applicable for gentiles as a command, I like to keep this day as a day of rest from work out of joy and love for G-d.

Exodus 16:23 So he said to them, That is what the Lord spoke,
Tomorrow is a rest day, a holy Shabbat to the Lord. Bake whatever you wish to bake, and cook whatever you wish to cook, and all the rest leave over to keep until morning.

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is a Shabbat to the Lord, your God; you shall perform no labor, neither you, your son, your daughter, your manservant, your maidservant, your beast, nor your stranger who is in your cities.

Exodus 20:11 For [in] six days the Lord made the heaven and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day. Therefore, the Lord blessed the Shabbat day and sanctified it.

Exodus 31:13 "And you, speak to the children of Israel and say: 'Only keep My Shabbats For it is a sign between Me and you for your generations, to know that I, the Lord, make you holy.

Exodus 31:14 Therefore, keep the Shabbat, for it is a sacred thing for you. Those who desecrate it shall be put to death, for whoever performs work on it, that soul will be cut off from the midst of its people.

Exodus 31:15 Six days work may be done, but on the seventh day is a Shabbat of complete rest, holy to the Lord; whoever performs work on the Shabbat day shall be put to death.'

Exodus 31:16 Thus shall the children of Israel observe the Shabbat, to make the Shabbat throughout their generations as an everlasting covenant.

Exodus 35:2 Six days work may be done, but on the seventh day you shall have sanctity, a day of complete rest to the Lord; whoever performs work thereon [on this day] shall be put to death.

Leviticus 16:31 It is a Shabbat of rest for you, and you shall afflict yourselves. It is an eternal statute.

Leviticus 19:3 Every man shall fear his mother and his father, and you shall observe My Shabbats. I am the Lord, your God.

Leviticus 19:30 You shall observe My Shabbats and revere My Sanctuary. I am the Lord.

Leviticus 23:3 [For] six days, work may be performed, but on the seventh day, it is a complete rest day, a holy occasion; you shall not perform any work. It is a Shabbat to the Lord in all your dwelling places.

Leviticus 26:2 You shall keep My Shabbats and fear My Sanctuary. I am the Lord.

Deuteronomy 5:12 Keep the Shabbat day to sanctify it, as the Lord your God commanded you.

Deuteronomy 5:14 but the seventh day is a Shabbat to the Lord your God; you shall perform no labor, neither you, your son, your daughter, your manservant, your maidservant, your ox, your donkey, any of your livestock, nor the stranger who is within your cities, in order that your manservant and your maidservant may rest like you.

Deuteronomy 5:15 And you shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord your God took you out from there with a strong hand and with an outstretched arm; therefore, the Lord, your God, commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

Nehemiah 9:14 And Your holy Shabbat You made known to them, and commandments and statutes and the Law You commanded them, by the hand of Your servant Moses.

Nehemiah 13:22 And I commanded the Levites that the watchers of the walls should purify themselves and come to hallow the Shabbat day. This too remember for me, my God, and have pity on me according to Your abundant loving-kindness.

Isaiah 56:2 Fortunate is the man who will do this and the person who will hold fast to it, he who keeps the Shabbat from profaning it and guards his hand from doing any evil.

Isaiah 56:4 For so says the Lord to the eunuchs who will keep My Shabbats and will choose what I desire and hold fast to My covenant5 "I will give them in My house and in My walls a place and a name, better than sons and daughters; an everlasting name I will give him, which will not be discontinued.

Isaiah 56:6 And the foreigners who join with the Lord to serve Him and to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants, everyone who observes the Shabbat from profaning it and who holds fast to My covenant.

Isaiah 58:13 If you restrain your foot because of the Shabbat, from performing your affairs on My holy day, and you call the Shabbat a delight, the holy of the Lord honored, and you honor it by not doing your wonted ways, by not pursuing your affairs and speaking words. 14 Then, you shall delight with the Lord, and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the land, and I will give you to eat the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

Isaiah 66:23 And it shall be from new moon to new moon and from Shabbat to Shabbat, that all flesh shall come to prostrate themselves before Me," says the Lord.

Jeremiah 17:21 So said the Lord: Beware for your souls and carry no burden on the Shabbat day, nor bring into the gates of Jerusalem. 22 Neither shall you take a burden out of your houses on the Shabbat day nor shall you perform any labor, and you shall hallow the Shabbat day as I commanded your forefathers.

Jeremiah 17:24 And it shall be if you hearken to Me, says the Lord, not to bring any burden into the gates of this city on the Shabbat day and to hallow the Shabbat day not to perform any labor thereon, 25 Then shall there enter into the gates of this city kings and princes sitting on David's throne, riding in chariots and with horses, they and their princes, the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and this city shall be inhabited forever.

Ezekiel 20:12 Moreover, I gave them My Shabbats to be for a sign between Me and them, to know that I, the Lord, make them holy.

Ezekiel 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they walked not in My statutes, and they despised My ordinances, which, if a man keep, he will live through them, and My Shabbats they desecrated exceedingly. Then I said to pour out My wrath upon them in the wilderness, to make an end to them.

Ezekiel 20:20 And keep My Shabbats holy so that they be a sign between Me and you, that you may know that I am the Lord your God.'

Ezekiel 20:21 But the children rebelled against Me; they did not walk in My statutes, and they did not observe My ordinances to perform them, which if a man perform, he shall live through them; My Shabbats they desecrated, and I said to pour out My wrath upon them, to spend My anger upon them in the wilderness.

Ezekiel 44:24 And in dispute they shall stand in judgment, according to My ordinances shall they decide it; and My teachings and My statutes shall they keep in all My appointed times, and My Shabbats they shall sanctify.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vicarious Atonement is not taught in Tanakh

Joshua is the prophet like Moses

Did the "The abomination that causes desolation" happen yet? ~ Cross reference of Matthew 24:15 to Daniel 9:26