Did David prophesy that Jesus will rise from the grave? ~ Cross reference of Acts 2:24 to Psalm 16:9


Peter quotes Psalm 16 to say that David prophesied that Jesus will be risen from the grave. Did he actually talk about Jesus and that too after 3 days he will come back to life.

This is a key belief of the Christian faith to prove that Jesus defeated death [I guess sin as well]. 

Paul tries to fix this by claiming that Jesus rose in spirit and not in flesh. We will cover this when we get the the letters of Paul.

Let is examine Psalm 16 to see if David was writing about Jesus and if so was he talking about being Jesus being raised after 3 days.


All Images are links to Google Images. Copyright violations not intended.
All Greek Text references are from NIV and Tanakh references are from Chabad.

This post is not intended to offend anyone's faith but for those people who are Seeking the truth of THE ONE TRUE G-D of the universe to who we owe all our love, gratitude & devotion.

My encouragement to you is that you read the whole chapter of Tanakh that the Greek text quotes so you get the context and understand what G-d actually said.


G-d Bless and Seek THE Truth.

Acts 2:24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. 25 David said about him: “‘I saw the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. 26 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest in hope, 27 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, you will not let your holy one see decay. 28 You have made known to me the paths of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence.’[e]

Psalm 16:9 Therefore, my heart rejoiced, and my soul was glad; even my flesh shall dwell in safety. 10 For You shall not forsake my soul to the grave; You shall not allow Your pious one to see the pit. 11 You shall let me know the way of life, the fullness of joys in Your presence. There is pleasantness in Your right hand forever.

This is a Psalm of David and he is talking about himself and not about Jesus. You can see this from the below verses.
  • Psalm 16:1 A michtam of David; O God, guard me for I have taken refuge in You. - Why does Jesus need guarding and taking refuge in G-d. He came to die right?
  • Psalm 16:2 You should say to the Lord, "You are my Master; my good is not incumbent upon You. - Per trinity the three persons are not subservient to one another.
  • Psalm 16:4 May the sorrows of those who hasten after another [deity] increase; I will not pour their libations of blood, nor will I take their names upon my lips. - Why would Jesus have to say he will not worship idols?  
  • Psalm 16:7 I will bless the Lord, Who counseled me; even at night my conscience instructs me. - Why does Jesus need to be counseled? 
  • Psalm 16:9 Therefore, my heart rejoiced, and my soul was glad; even my flesh shall dwell in safety. - Jesus was killed. David is saying he does not want to die. This does not mean he is asking to live for ever but that he wishes to live a long life.
  • Psalm 16:10 For You shall not forsake my soul to the grave; You shall not allow Your pious one to see the pit. - David is asking G-d not not let him die.
  • Psalm 16:11 You shall let me know the way of life, the fullness of joys in Your presence. There is pleasantness in Your right hand forever. - Why does Jesus need to be told the way of life. He claimed he was the way to life.
  • Even if David is talking about life after death, how is this about Jesus alone, everyone desires to not go to hell but one day be resurrected and be with G-d.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vicarious Atonement is not taught in Tanakh

Joshua is the prophet like Moses

Did the "The abomination that causes desolation" happen yet? ~ Cross reference of Matthew 24:15 to Daniel 9:26