Did David write that Jesus will have zeal for G-d's temple? ~ Cross reference of John 2:13 to Psalm 69:10


John has Jesus start his miracles with turning water into wine. The messiah in Tanakh is not supposed to be a miracle worker. If you know of any passages that say the messiah will need to do miracles, do share the reference.

Galilee region was on adrenalin before, during & after the time of Jesus and there were at least 3 messiahs [claimants at least] who came from this region before Jesus. You can read about them by clicking this link. 

Likewise during 1 CE there were Jewish Rabbis who were thought to have powers to perform miracles. Greco Roman world would not accept a leader if he was not a man-god and these people were thought to have performed miracles Click to read.

All that said, Psalm 69 is not about Jesus having zeal for G-d's house. This Psalm is about David's zeal for G-d and his sanctuary. 

All Images are links to Google Images. Copyright violations not intended.
All Greek Text references are from NIV and Tanakh references are from Chabad.

This post is not intended to offend anyone's faith but for those people who are Seeking the truth of THE ONE TRUE G-D of the universe to who we owe all our love, gratitude & devotion.

My encouragement to you is that you read the whole chapter of Tanakh that the Greek text quotes so you get the context and understand what G-d actually said.


G-d Bless and Seek THE Truth.

John 2:13 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. 16 To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” 17 His disciples remembered that it is written: “Zeal for your house will consume me.”

Psalm 69:10 For the envy of Your house has consumed me, and the humiliations of those who blaspheme You have fallen upon me.
  • If you read the below verses you will see that this Psalm is about David's zeal for G-d and how hurts when G-d's name is blasphemed.
  • Verse 1 shows that David wrote this Psalm. He calls it the tune of lilies
  • Below passages talk about how David is in trouble and feels G-d is far off
    • 2 Save me, O God, for water has come up to my soul. 3 I have sunk in muddy depths and there is no place to stand; I have come into the deep water, and the current has swept me away. 4 I have become weary from calling out; my throat has become parched; my eyes fail while I wait for my God.
  • Jesus was sinless lamb of G-d. How can this verse be about Jesus?
    • 6 O God, You know my folly, and my acts of guilt are not concealed from You.
  • In the below verses David is talking about how he has been faithful to G-d and he is pleading to G-d that he should not fail as the leader of the people that trust in G-d. 
    • 7 Do not let those who hope for You be shamed through me, O Lord God of Hosts; let those who seek You not be disgraced through me, O God of Israel. 8 For I have borne humiliation because of You; disgrace has covered my face. 9 I was strange to my brothers, and alien to the sons of my mother. 10 For the envy of Your house has consumed me, and the humiliations of those who blaspheme You have fallen upon me. 11 And I bewailed my soul in fast, and it was a disgrace for me. 12 And I made sackcloth my raiment, and I became a byword to them.
  • The rest of the Psalm is about David's enemies and the hope he has in G-d.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vicarious Atonement is not taught in Tanakh

Joshua is the prophet like Moses

Did the "The abomination that causes desolation" happen yet? ~ Cross reference of Matthew 24:15 to Daniel 9:26