Why did the soldiers cast lots for Jesus's garments? ~ Cross reference of John 19:23 to Psalm 22:19


I wonder why the Roman soldiers cast lots for his garments. Were they not provided clothing by the Romans? or did they think that Jesus's garment was victory trophy? or were Jesus's clothes very expensive or was it to fulfill what David wrote in Psalm 22?

Could it be the gospel writers [church father(s)] came up with the crucifixion details based on Tanakh passages when they started writing this gospel between 40-80 years after the crucifixion?

Anyway let us see why David did not prophecy about Jesus crucifixion in Psalm 22


All Images are links to Google Images. Copyright violations not intended.
All Greek Text references are from NIV and Tanakh references are from Chabad.

This post is not intended to offend anyone's faith but for those people who are Seeking the truth of THE ONE TRUE G-D of the universe to who we owe all our love, gratitude & devotion.

My encouragement to you is that you read the whole chapter of Tanakh that the Greek text quotes so you get the context and understand what G-d actually said.


G-d Bless and Seek THE Truth.


John 19:23
When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom. 24 “Let’s not tear it,” they said to one another. “Let’s decide by lot who will get it.” This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled that said, “They divided my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.”[a] So this is what the soldiers did.

Psalm 22:19 They share my garments among themselves and cast lots for my raiment.
  • Psalm 22 is very much like Isaiah 53 that perfectly fits what happened to Jesus. So one can go back to Tanakh and claim that this was a prophecy that is fulfilled. The problem though is if someone read these passages would they relate to a suffering and dead messiah when there are several other passages that clearly identify the messiah with markers such as "son of David", "anointed one", "king", "ruler" and they all do not talk about this the messiah dying.
  • Psalm 22 is written by David and he is calling out to G-d to help him from his enemies. We know that David had a lot of enemies.
  • Even if assume that David wrote this Psalm 1700 years before Jesus's crucifixion, how can we explain these verses that David wrote.
Psalm 22:3 My God, I call out by day and You do not reply, and at night I do not keep silent. - David is saying he is calling out to G-d day and night and maybe for days and weeks he was calling out to G-d. Jesus called out 1 day from the start at Gethsemane and end of the week he was crucified. Also why did he call out to god to save him, was he not supposed to die to save all the people who believe in him?  

Psalm 22:7 But I am a worm and not a man; a reproach of man, despised by peoples. - How can this be about Jesus. Christians believe he was the sinless son of god and later they started to believe he is god in flesh.

Psalm 22:9 One should cast his trust upon the Lord, and He will rescue him; He will save him because He delights in him. - Why does Jesus have to trust in god. He is god[person] and so close to god[another person]. Jesus was not saved right?

Psalm 22:10 For You drew me from the womb; You made me secure on my mother's breasts. 11 Upon You, I was cast from birth; from my mother's womb You are my God. - How can Jesus be born. He existed from eternity right? Even by definition of trinity all three are gods and on one is god of the other right?

Psalm 22:12 Do not distance Yourself from me, for distress is near; for there is none to help. - Why does Jesus need to be saved? The whole purpose of him coming is to die right?

Psalm 22:16 My strength became dried out like a potsherd, and my tongue cleaves to my palate; and You set me down in the dust of death. - At least in John, Jesus is very calm and in control not only of the crucifixion but also his resurrection, so why the dry mouth and anxiety? 

Psalm 22:20 But You, O Lord, do not distance Yourself; my strength, hasten to my assistance. - Again why should Jesus be saved when the whole thing was prophesied and had to happen?

Psalm 22:21 Save my soul from the sword, my only one from the grip of the dog. - David is talking about enemies in battle and here Jesus was on the cross.

Psalm 22:22 Save me from the lion's mouth, as from the horns of the wild oxen You answered me. - Again why ask to be saved?

Psalm 22:23 I will tell Your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise You. - Jesus was not supposed to live so where is the discussion about if god saves him he will praise god and tell his brother about how god saved him.

Psalm 22:26 Because of You is my praise in the great congregation; I pay my vows in the presence of those who fear Him. - Jesus died while David is talking about how he will praise G-d for his redemption. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vicarious Atonement is not taught in Tanakh

Joshua is the prophet like Moses

Did the "The abomination that causes desolation" happen yet? ~ Cross reference of Matthew 24:15 to Daniel 9:26