Did god put the new covenant into the heart of Christians? ~ Cross reference of Hebrews 8:7 to Jeremiah 31:31-34


Hebrews 8 makes a claim that Jeremiah prophesied that Jesus is the high priest for Christians and he has established a new covenant that has faded away the old covenant that G-d had made with Israel.

The claim is that while the old covenant was based on keeping the law, the new one is in the heart of the people and thus this is based on faith and the old covenant will fade away.

This is yet another misinterpretation of the passage in Jeremiah 31. Let us see why.


All Images are links to Google Images. Copyright violations not intended.
All Greek Text references are from NIV and Tanakh references are from Chabad.

This post is not intended to offend anyone's faith but for those people who are Seeking the truth of THE ONE TRUE G-D of the universe to who we owe all our love, gratitude & devotion.

My encouragement to you is that you read the whole chapter of Tanakh that the Greek text quotes so you get the context and understand what G-d actually said.


G-d Bless and Seek THE Truth.

Hebrews 8:7 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. 8 But God found fault with the people and said[b]: “The days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. 9 It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not remain faithful to my covenant, and I turned away from them, declares the Lord. 10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. 11 No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. 12 For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”[c] 13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Jeremiah 31:31 Not like the covenant that I formed with their forefathers on the day I took them by the hand to take them out of the land of Egypt, that they broke My covenant, although I was a lord over them, says the Lord. 32 For this is the covenant that I will form with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will place My law in their midst and I will inscribe it upon their hearts, and I will be their God and they shall be My people. 33 And no longer shall one teach his neighbor or [shall] one [teach] his brother, saying, "Know the Lord," for they shall all know Me from their smallest to their greatest, says the Lord, for I will forgive their iniquity and their sin I will no longer remember. 34 So said the Lord, Who gives the sun to illuminate by day, the laws of the moon and the stars to illuminate at night, Who stirs up the sea and its waves roar, the Lord of Hosts is His name.

  • Hebrews 8:7 starts with saying that because there was a problem with the old covenant, a new covenant had to be put in place. I ask a simple question, does G-d make anything that is not perfect. Even today after 6000 years, man hardly knows 2% of G-d's creation. 
  • G-d clearly declared that the law he gave Israel is for eternity, He uses phrases such as "for ever", "eternally", "for a 1000 generations", "as long as the stars are in the sky", "from generation to generation", "as long as you live in the land".
  • Tanakh is full of passages that say that the law of G-d is perfect. how can anyone improve of something that is perfect and more so how can someone that G-d created be foiled and need replacement.
  • If you read Psalm 119  there are 176 passages on just ONE topic and it is the Torah. All David says is how sweet, perfect, just righteous the Torah is.
  • Christians claiming that the new covenant is a new set of laws is very wrong. A covenant is an agreement. The law is still the same but the commitment to keep it is renewed is what Jeremiah 31 is talking about.
    • Deuteronomy 11:1 Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always.
    • Deuteronomy 29:29 The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.
    • Deuteronomy 12:1 These are the decrees and laws you must be careful to follow in the land that the Lord, the God of your ancestors, has given you to possess as long as you live in the land.
  • Christians claiming that now they have a better covenant only means what G-d made was not perfect and that is a blatant lie.
  • What Jeremiah is saying is that this time around, G-d is going to put the law in the heart of the people so they will surely keep the law.
  • There are passages in Psalms, Ezekiel, Malachi that talk about what keeping the law in the heart means. It means, they will keep it with love and passion.
  • Christian's claim that the new covenant is belief in Jesus is not right, because the covenant is new not the law. The new covenant is still with Israel and not with the gentiles.
  • The meaning of G-d keeping the new covenant in the heart means that people will keep it with Joy, love and sincerity rather than keeping it as an obligation.
    • Psalm 40:9 O God, I desired to do Your will and [to have] Your law within my innards.
    • Ezekiel 11:19 And I shall give them one heart, and a new spirit I shall place within them, and I shall remove the heart of stone from their flesh, and I shall give them a heart of flesh. 20 In order that they walk in My statutes and keep My laws and perform them, and they will be My people, and I shall be their God.
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vicarious Atonement is not taught in Tanakh

Joshua is the prophet like Moses

Did the "The abomination that causes desolation" happen yet? ~ Cross reference of Matthew 24:15 to Daniel 9:26