What does G-d expect from us?


I think everyone at some point in their life has this question "What does G-d expect from me?"

This is what G-d explicitly tells us in the Tanakh.

Isaiah 8:13 The Lord of Hosts-Him shall you sanctify, and He is your fear, and He gives you strength.

Malachi 2:2 If you do not heed, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My Name, says the Lord of Hosts, I will send the curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings. Indeed I have [already] cursed it, for you do not take it to heart.

Malachi 3:5 And I will approach you for judgment, and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers and against the adulterers and against those who swear falsely; and also against those who withhold the wages of the day laborers, of the widow and fatherless, and those who pervert [the rights of] the stranger, [and those who] fear Me not, says the Lord of Hosts

Amos 5:22 Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and offerings of well-being of your fatted animals I will not look upon. 23 Take away from me the noise of your songs; I will not listen to the melody of your harps. 24 But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream. 

Psalm 51:15 O L-rd, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 For you have no delight in sacrifice; if I were to give a burnt offering, you would not be pleased. 17 The sacrifice acceptable to Gd is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O G-d, you will not despise

Jeremiah 7:1 The word that came to Jeremiah from the L-rd; 2 Stand in the gate of the Lrd’s house, and proclaim there this word, and say, “Hear the word of the Lrd, all you people of Judah, you that enter these gates to worship the L-rd. 3 Thus says the L-rd of hosts, the G-d of Israel: ‘Amend your ways and your doings, and let me dwell with you in this place. 4 Do not trust in these deceptive words: ‘This is the temple of the L-rd, the temple of the L-rd, the temple of the L-rd.’ 5 For if you truly amend your ways and your doings if you truly act justly one with another, 6 if you do not oppress the alien, the orphan, and the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own hurt, 7 Then I will dwell with you in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your ancestors forever and ever.

Micah 6:6 “With what shall I come before the Lrd, and bow myself before G-d on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? 7 Will the L-rd be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?” 8 He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the L-rd require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your G-d?

Proverbs 21:3 To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the L-rd than sacrifice. 

Hosea 6:6 For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of G-d rather than burnt offerings. 

1 Samuel 15:22 And Samuel said, “Has the L-rd as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the L-rd? Surely, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams.

1 Samuel 15:30 I will praise the name of G-d with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving. 31 This will please the L-rd more than an ox or a bull with horns and hoofs.

Joel 2:12 Yet even now, says the L-rd, return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; 13 rend your hearts and not your clothing. Return to the L-rd, your G-d, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and relents from punishing. 

Isaiah 50:10 Who among you is God-fearing, who hearkens to the voice of His servant, who went in darkness and who has no light, let him trust in the name of the Lord and lean on his God.

Jeremiah 7:23 But this thing did I command them, saying: Obey Me so that I am your God and you are My people, and you walk in all the ways that I command you, so that it may be well with you.

Ezekiel 14:6 Therefore, say to the house of Israel, So said the Lord God: Repent and move away from your idols, and from all your abominations remove your faces.

Ezekiel 18:30 Therefore, every man according to his ways I will judge you, O house of Israel, says the Lord God: repent and cause others to repent of all your transgressions, and it will not be a stumbling block of iniquity for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vicarious Atonement is not taught in Tanakh

Joshua is the prophet like Moses

Did the "The abomination that causes desolation" happen yet? ~ Cross reference of Matthew 24:15 to Daniel 9:26